Monday, October 27, 2008

Software sweeps up crumbs left after install

Because of the number of requests, I’ll reiterate why I recommend Revo Uninstaller, Carbonite and subscribing to the Good Boot Newsletter.

Windows Add or Remove Programs feature is based on the information it receives during the installation of a program. Any subsequent additional information, links and properties made to the program may not be purged as they were not included in the initial installation.
Revo Uninstaller (a free utility) analyzes an application’s data before an uninstall. When the uninstall is complete it scans for left over unnecessary files, folders and registry keys and presents them in a checklist format. You can selectively delete them or delete them all.

As long as you create a "just in case" Restore Point (I’m sure all good booters do so before an uninstall), Revo is an excellent way to remove potentially bothersome "leftovers".
Carbonite (49.95 per year) is in my opinion the best "install it and forget about it" data backup on the market.

Although I back up my data daily to an external hard drive, to be sure my data is absolutely safe from a catastrophic computer event, fire or hurricane, I rely on Carbonite.

Regardless of how much data I have on my hard drive, I know it’ll be stored safely. Available to be reinstalled after an untoward event or available to be relocated onto an alternative computer.

Carbonite unobtrusively uploads data in the background placing a little green dot next to each of the files and folders it has uploaded. Files and folders pending upload have a yellow dot.
Data can be restored in its entirety or by individual file or folder.

And be assured the data is secure and encrypted. Only you can see your files. Not even the folks at carbonite can read your files.

Go to www.revo.com, www.carbonite.com or www.news-press.com/goodboot for a complete summary of their features.

There was concern by some that by subscribing to the Good Boot newsletter (www.goodboot.net) they’d receive unwanted spam.

Subscriptions are handled by Google. When you subscribe you receive an e-mail to confirm your subscription and every newsletter contains an unsubscribe option.

The purpose of the newsletter is to remind subscribers a month in advance of computer happenings in SWF, a reminder the week before an event and a periodic heads up when I receive additional events.

I promise you’ll not be inundated with nonsense.

If you’d like an event posted - e-mail me the information.

Here’s wishing you a Good Boot.

No comments: