Saturday, November 12, 2011

I must confess I was in error in not mentioning in my most recent backup tutorials Windows 7's ‘Create a system image’ backup utility (Control Panel > Backup and Restore > Create a system image).

A System Image (often referred to as a Disk Image) is an exact copy of a hard drive. It includes Windows and your system settings, programs and files. The image can be used to completely restore the contents of your computer if your hard disk fails or your operating system is corrupted beyond repair.

Note: When you restore your computer from a system image you cannot choose individual items to restore. All of your current programs, system settings and files are replaced with the contents of the system image.

The reason for this rather tardy review of Windows 7 System Image is that until recently I was not convinced keeping a system image file current was worth the effort. With the number of updates and configuration changes made almost daily to my Windows system, I figured if I lost my hard drive or corrupted Windows beyond repair I might just as well reinstall Windows, my programs and then all my backed up irreplaceable Stuff.

Recently however I was challenged by a Microsoft technician to give Windows 7's System Image backup a try.

I took the challenge and did a System Image backup and restore of my lab rat. The adventure was all she promised it would be. It was easy to access: Control Panel > System and Security > Backup your computer and ‘Create an image backup’. And selecting the proper backup settings was a no brainer.

I was even reminded when the System Image backup was competed to create a recovery CD that would allow me to restore the image using a bootable recovery disc.

I’m now a believer!

However, there are a few things to keep in mind:
1. Like a backup of any file, a system image is only as current as its last backup. So I suggest you establish a frequent system image backup regimen.
2. To not forsake a strict traditional backup regime of your ‘irreplaceable files’. By doing so should a system image restore fail, you’ll still have the option to reinstall Windows using your Windows 7 installation disk, your programs via their installation disks or downloaded installation files and then restore your ‘irreplaceable files from their backup media.
3. To keep your virus and malware software up-to-date. A System Image of infected Windows system files is no better than the original.

Here’s wishing you a Good Boot.

No comments: