Monday, September 12, 2011

Part 1 of Windows 7 Control Panel - Screen Resolution

Now that I’ve finished my annual Backup Nag but before I go on to Windows 7 features I’ve not mentioned, I want to remind those new to Windows 7 that although Windows will attempt to select the best display settings for your particular Monitor to include screen resolution, refresh rate and color, a quick trip, their ‘every so often’ housekeeping duties should include a visit to their Screen Resolution panel.

Right click on your Desktop and click on ‘Screen resolution’. First be sure Windows has correctly identified your display. Be aware that some programs, particularly games have been know to reset displays to Windows default settings and made unwanted adjustments to screen resolution.

Next, just to see what happens, try adjusting your screen resolution. For example, Windows recommended and set my screen resolution to 1920 x 1200 but I found that 1600 x 1050 was just right for me.

Note: If you do adjust your screen resolution, I suggest you open a few of your programs to be sure that changing your screen resolution has not had an adverse effect on their desktop presentations.

If you’re a bit more adventurous, click on ‘Make text and other items larger or smaller’. You can adjust the size of the text and other items such as icons on your screen to make them easier to see without changing the screen resolution of your monitor or laptop screen.

And while you’re at this panel, there’s no harm in checking out the other available settings.

Note: Because a resetting to ‘Smaller’, “Medium’ or ‘Larger’ will not take effect until you reboot, Windows provides a preview pane and if you select ‘Larger’, a warning that ‘Some items may not fit on your screen’.

For a quick sizing and alignment of you icons right click on your Desktop and select ‘View’ to make a selection. And while you’re at ‘View’, note the feature ‘Show desktop icons’.

I’m a recovering Desktop icon junkie. But know that before I went cold turkey and, with the exception of my Recycle Bin, deleted all my the Desktop shortcuts to programs and Web sites that hid my Desktop themes, my peers were forever ridiculing me for inappropriate Desktop clutter. So when my detractors were about I became adept at a right click on my Desktop and a left click on ‘Show desktop’ icons.

Next week I’ll cover a few more viewing settings.

FYI: My September Windows 7 seminar will be Thursday, September 8th at 6:00 PM at Lee Memorial Hospital Auditorium on Cleveland Avenue.

Here's wishing you a Good Boot.

No comments: