Monday, August 01, 2011

In this part 18 of my Windows 7 tutorial I’ll continue with part 6 of a tour of Windows Explorer.

Last week I discussed using a Windows Explorer Library to organize data on internal and external flash and hard drives. But know that Libraries can be just as efficient organizing data on just a lone internal hard drive.

For example, in addition to my default My Pictures folder I have three additional Windows Explorer My Pictures subfolders.
1. My Pictures - For Droid (my smart phone)
2. My Pictures - For Photo Picture Frame
3. My Pictures - For Specific Sorting Projects

Prior to Windows Explorer Libraries when sorting pictures from my default My Pictures folder to my project subfolders I would have access each project subfolder individually or open all the project subfolders and Tile or Cascade them to be able to move expeditiously from one to another.

With Libraries I can organize all My Pictures subfolders under my Pictures Library by:

1. Clicking on Start and Pictures (the default Library folder that points to my C Drive ‘My Pictures’ folder where I locate all my unsorted downloaded, scanned, and e-mailed pictures).
2. Clicking on the (0 locations) of ‘Pictures Library includes: 0 locations’ located in the upper left of the Pictures Library pane.
3. Clicking on ‘Add’ and then scrolling down and clicking on ‘My Pictures - Droid’ subfolder and on the Pictures Libraries Location panel, clicking on ‘Include folder’.
4. Repeating steps 2 and 3 to add my other two My Pictures sub folders.

Now when I click Start and Pictures my Pictures Library includes all my Drive C: My Pictures sub folders.

There’s no end to the ways you can organize your data using the default Windows Explorer Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos Libraries.

But there are also no end to the ways you can organize your data using Libraries you create.

Example: I have three Good Boot My Documents subfolders - ‘My Good Boots - Completed’, ‘My Good Boots - Pending Final Editing’, and ‘My Good Boots - Published’.

By clicking on ‘New Library’ on my Organize bar and typing in ‘My Good Boots’ I created a ‘My Good Boots’ Library.

I then clicked on the ‘My Good Boots’ Library and then clicked on ‘Include a folder’. I scrolled to my My Documents, ‘My Good Boots’ sub folder and clicked on ‘Include folder.

I completed my ‘My Good Boots’ Library by adding my other two ‘My Good Boots’ subfolders by following steps 2 and 3 above for each.

Here’s wishing you a Good Boot.

No comments: