Sunday, April 17, 2011

In this part 6 of my Windows 7 tutorial I’ll begin my Desktop Personalization ‘fun stuff’ walk about with a discussion of how to create a Desktop ‘Theme’ slide show.

In this part 6 of my Windows 7 tutorial I’ll begin my Desktop Personalization ‘fun stuff’ walk about with a discussion of how to create a Desktop ‘Theme’ slide show.

It may interest you to know the reason Windows terminology includes so many business related terms such as desktop, folders, and files is that when Windows 1.0 was released Microsoft believed it would be installed primarily on business computers and by using terms familiar to secretaries the transition to computers would be less daunting.

Keep in mind Windows 1.0 was released in 1985 when Personal Computers were but a gleam in Bill Gates eye.

Be as it may, today’s Windows Desktop is designed so that you can personalize it as you would the desktop of your home or office desk. It can be free of clutter or filled with icons and gadgets. Anyway that meets your needs and/or satisfies your aesthetic sensibilities.

Unlike my News-Press editor who has a need to discover how may icons can fit on his Desktop I have but one, my Recycle Bin. This allows me to personalize my Desktop with unobstructed slide shows.

If you’re of the artistic persuasion, right click on your Desktop and click on Personalize. You have the option of selecting slide shows from ‘My Themes’, ‘Areo Themes’ or ‘Basic and high contrast Themes’.

For the purpose of this tutorial I’m going to assume your Areo is active.

By clicking on any one of the Areo Themes it will appear as ‘Desktop background’ at the bottom left of your Personalization panel.

Now click on the ‘Desktop background’ icon and select all or just the photos you want to appear in the side show.

Note: I suggest keeping the ‘Picture position’ as ‘Fill’.

Next, set the ‘Change picture every:’ setting. I have mine set to 3 minutes. Three minutes turns my monitor into a spectacular digital slide show picture frame.

If you wish you can also customize the ‘Windows Color’ and ‘Sounds’ associated with the slide show.

One of the most exceptional slide show themes I’ve found can be downloaded by clicking on ‘Get more themes on line’ in the Personalization panel.

Click on ‘Get more themes’ and click Download ‘Sailing’. Select ‘Open’ and Sailing will appear as your ‘Desktop Background’ icon. Click on it and configure it as you wish.

If you become as addicted to side shows as I have, go back to ‘Get more themes’ and download all the themes that tweak your artistic curiosity.

Here’s wishing you a Good Boot.

No comments: