Friday, September 17, 2010

1-800-GOOG-411

If you’re not aware of Google’s extraordinary new 411 phone service I can almost guarantee after reading this Good Boot and making a GOOG-411 call, you’ll be shaking your head and muttering - they’ve done it again.

Let’s say I’m on the road when I remember I must call Steve my editor and tell him I’ll be a bit late e-mailing him my Good Boot. Oh and by the way, I have no idea what the News-Press phone number is.

I simply pull over and dial 1-800-GOOG-411. When I’m connected a voice will say “say business and City and State”. I say “The News-Press, Fort Myers, Florida”. The voice will come back and ask me if I want to connect.

If for any reason the business name I give is not recognized, the voice will ask for the City and State and then the business name.

Or

If I say “news-papers, Fort Myers, Florida” the voice will offer a list of 8 options to include the number 1option - The News-Press. I can then press 1 or say one and I’ll be asked if I want to be connected, get details or go back to the list.

When calling from a mobile device I need only say “text message” or “map it.” and GOOG-411 will send me a text message with more details and a map.

Note: GOOG-411offers all but the mobile device services via your antique land line.

And best of all GOOG-411is Free!

Apropos of Google. For those who may be in the market for a smart phone, I suggest you take a look at an Android phone as a possible alternative to the iPhone.

Two years ago when I left Embarq now CenturyLink’s Market Square Plaza store after confirming they would be discontinuing their cell phone service, by chance I noticed a Verizon (Wireless City) store across the parking lot. Needing a replacement cell phone I stopped in and because of the extraordinary personal attention I received from Douglas Lewandowski the manager, I decided to look no further and became a Verizon subscriber. A very satisfied Verizon subscriber!

In fact so satisfied, when I discovered Verizon did not offer the iPhone, I took Douglases advice, purchased an Android and continued my Verizon subscription.

Folks I love it. It’s absolutely amazing.

If you’re shopping for a smart phone, Douglas has promised me he’ll provide interested Good Booters with a personal no obligation Android show and tell.

Here’s wishing you a Good Boot.

No comments: