Saturday, September 27, 2008

Is Virtual Repair and Option?

The recent TV advertizing blitz by a company offering to remotely repair your computer has generated a good bit of a interest by Good Booters. I’ve received e-mail asking me if the claims made by the advertizer are realistic. And how do the hourly fees charged by the company compare with those charged by local qualified technicians.

From all I’ve heard remote computer repair is becoming a significant PC repair option. However, I do not entirely accept the advertizer’s claim that it’s a superior method of PC repair because you do not have take your computer to a repair shop or allow a stranger into your home to repair your PC.

Rather I suggest it’s an alternative method of PC repair available to those who have a high speed Internet connection and a computer problem that doesn’t involve hardware.
As for me and I’ll most assuredly be labeled old fashioned for saying this, regardless of how significant an option remote repair has or will become, I’ll probably continue to prefer that my technician is sitting in front of my computer when he’s diagnosing my system.

Although if my personal technician continues to be well acquainted with my system, aware of my unusual computing transgressions e.g., leaving my computer unattended and available to be crashed when the Winchell alpha kitten becomes intrigued by my marine aquarium fish screen saver and does an enthusiastic keyboard walkabout, and will hasten to my domicile if an attempted remote repair doesn’t solve the problem, perhaps in an emergency I just might consider giving a remote repair a try.

It’s your call, but is allowing a local technician with references into your home any more dangerous than permitting a cyberspace phantom technician to root around in your computer?

If you have questions concerning remote repairs, I suggest you contact David Keller (Compu-Doctor) at 277-7100. David will explain what can be done, how it’s done and information on the cost to do it. And I personally guarantee there’s no charge to chat!

Note: For a bit beyond novice Good Booters - check out Revo Uninstaller (www.revouninstaller.com).

It’s a freeware program that doesn’t interfere with a Windows normal application uninstall, but if you use it to initiate an uninstall, scans your system before and after the application is uninstalled allowing you to selectively remove the clutter of unnecessary files, folders and registry keys that were not removed during a normal uninstall.

Here’s wishing you a Good Boot.

No comments: